Brandon Young Bell

Contact Brandon Young Bell for a Consultation
Phone: (972) 668-1462
For Inquires Call To Schedule an Appointment

Address: 38 1st Street NW, Paris, Texas 75460

Name Change

During a divorce, the wife will often wish to have her name changed back to her maiden name. A divorce decree may contain a provision legally changing the wife's name if requested by one of the parties. Although the Court has some discretion in allowing a name change, a name change as part of divorce is usually easier than changing ones name outside the context of divorce.

Where an adult wishes to change his or her name not in the context of divorce, a Petition for Change of Name is the appropriate action. The party requesting a name change must give the Court a reason for changing the name. The Court will be most concerned with the requesting party's criminal history and whether the requesting party is attempting to avoid creditors. The person whose name is changed in this manner should obtain a Change of Name Certificate from the clerk of the Court.

Brandon Young Bell

Areas of Practice
  • Family Law