Brandon Young Bell

Contact Brandon Young Bell for a Consultation
Phone: (972) 668-1462
For Inquires Call To Schedule an Appointment

Address: 38 1st Street NW, Paris, Texas 75460

Modification of Orders

Custody or visitation

A court can modify an order providing for custody or visitation if changing the order would be in the best interest of the child and the circumstances of the child, or other party affected by the order has "materially and substantially" changed since the date of the order. A court may also consider modifying the order if the child is at least 12 years old and wishes to reside with another parent or the parent with custody voluntarily gives up the possession of the child for at least six months. In order to discourage repeated litigation, special rules apply if a modification is requested within one year of the order. A motion to modify an order concerning issues involving children must be brought in the court that made the order unless the court's jurisdiction has been transferred. Transfer is mandatory if the child has moved to a new county and has resided there for at least six months and either party requests the transfer.

Child Support

Guideline child support is generally ordered in a divorce decree or paternity order. If the support order differs by either 20 percent or $100 from the guidelines under Chapter 154 of the Texas Family Code and it has been three years since the order was rendered or modified, then the court may modify an order. If it has been less than three years, the court can only change a child support order if the circumstances of the child or a person affected by the order have materially and substantially changed since the order was made. This may include injuries or illnesses or additions to the family. A modification must be in the best interest of the child. A modification must be requested in the court having jurisdiction of the suit.

Brandon Young Bell

Areas of Practice
  • Family Law